A uniquely interactive and stimulating approach to teaching poetry
Having trouble getting students to understand poetry - or even show mild interest in it? You'll have them explicating Tennyson, Wordsworth, Dickinson, Frost, and asking for more once you start using this amazing kit in your classroom.
Developed by Dr. Asher E. Rivlin, professor of Education and Literature at the University of Tel Aviv, this incredibly rich resource kit helps students relate the meaning of a poem to its form and structure. In other words, students will learn not only how to understand what a poem means but also to appreciate how its form is integral to its content.
Students will discover what the poets are saying by examining how they say it.
And along the way, they'll learn about poetic form - the meaning and sounds of words, punctuation, sentence structure, and more. Dr. Rivlin developed this method because he believed that to enjoy and understand a poem, one must discover why the poet used certain forms in a poem and what these forms contribute to its meaning.
At the heart of Poetry Unfolding is a series of transparencies on each poem in the kit. The transparencies project the text of the poem with simple markings emphasizing poetic features. Each transparency is designed to spark student discussion and participation.
Poems studied in this kit:
- e.e. cummings - in time's a noble mercy of proportion
- Emily Dickinson - Some things that fly there be
- Robert Frost - Fire and Ice
- Thomas Hardy - The Ballad Singer
- Langston Hughes - Dream Variations
- Larry Rubin - Outdistanced
- William Shakespeare - Sonnet 18: Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's Day?
- Percy Bysshe Shelley - Ozymandias
- Alfred Lord Tennyson - The Eagle
- William Wordsworth - A slumber did my spirit seal
- William Butler Yeats - After Long Silence
Each Poetry Unfolding kit includes:
10-11 transparencies per poem
Comprehensive resource guide filled with:
- commentary and background information on each poem, the poet, and poetic features
- detailed description of each transparency in the unit
- comprehensive index of poetic features and glossary of literary terms
- reproducible student worksheets
- reproducible copies of poems
|Subject||LANGUAGE ARTS, Literature, Poetry and Mythology|
|Professional Reviews||What they are saying...